The cold temperatures have arrived, and it is time to make sure that the outside of your house is prepared for the winter weather. Do not forget that your garage door could also really benefit from this preparation as well. You want to be confident that you can park your car(s) in your garage all winter long. Here are some basic tips for keeping your garage door in good working order during the winter months:
1. Lubrication: Lubricating all moving parts is one of the easiest and best things that you can do for your garage door as the temperatures drop and winter arrives. During the winter, the parts of your garage door that move can get really cold and stick. Lubrication will keep things moving the way they should in the cold months.
2. Tighten the hardware: Your garage door goes up and down thousands of times each year. Making sure that the bolts and brackets are tightened 1-2 times each year will keep your garage door working its best.
3. Clean the tracks: Dust, leaves and other debris can collect on the tracks and sensors during the fall months. Take a moment and clean these areas so that there are no obstructions to opening and closing the door in the winter.
4. Inspect your rollers: Your rollers serve an important function for your garage door. Check them now for cracks or chips and if you see anything problematic, it is time to replace the rollers.
5. Replace any weather stripping: Winter stripping keeps cold air out of your home. Now is a great time to replace the weather stripping to give your home added protection.
6. Change all batteries: Plan to change the batteries in your portable garage door openers and the mounted one in your garage once a year so that you are not stuck with a garage door that suddenly does not work.
Garage Door Repair Services In Minnesota
If you complete your winter garage door maintenance and notice any problems or areas of concern, give our team at the Rise & Shine Garage Doors a call at 612-886-9606 for assistance. We can respond to your needs quickly–often the same day and make sure that your garage door is ready to go this winter. We offer 24/7 repair services, competitive pricing and unmatched customer service. A broken garage door can be an inconvenience anytime, but especially in the winter months when you want to protect your vehicles from the elements and keep your home from losing precious heat!