As a homeowner, perhaps you’ve been asking yourself if your garage door should be insulated. Before deciding to insulate your garage door, assess what you store in your garage and determine if protecting those items from temperature fluctuations would extend their usefulness. Because your garage door is likely the biggest opening of your home, it’s also the largest source of heat and cool air loss from your home, so insulated garage doors can also improve your home’s energy efficiency.
Garage Door Insulation Methods
Regardless of how you insulate your garage door, these four materials are commonly used to insulate a garage door:
- Foam board insulation: To make the process of insulating a garage door easier, you can buy a foam board insulation kit. It’s best to get foam with reflective foil on one or both sides to further deter heat from getting into or out of your garage.
- Spray foam insulation: The two main types of foam spray are polystyrene and polyurethane. Both types are liquid styrofoam with a higher density than foam boards. Polyurethane has a higher bend strength, is far more durable and lasts longer.
- Cellulose insulation: This insulation must also be sprayed onto the garage door, but it provides better results than spray foam. It is made of organic materials like plant fibers, cotton, wood, or recycled materials.
- Fiberglass insulation: This insulation comes in panels that have a vinyl facing. It’s best applied on the face of the garage door that’s on the inside of the garage.
Benefits of an Insulated Garage Doors
Since not all garage doors are insulated, you may be wondering about the pros and cons of an insulated garage door. Here are a few of the most popular reasons why homeowners choose a garage door with insulation.
- Better protection for items stored in the garage: The most important reason for getting an insulated garage door is to help regulate the temperature of your garage, better protecting items in your garage from temperature fluctuations.
- Increased energy efficiency: An insulated garage door can save you money on your utility bills. An insulated garage door also helps maintain the temperatures in any rooms above or next to the garage and prevents heat or cool air from escaping through your garage, helping your HVAC system work more efficiently.
- Quieter operation: Another benefit of an insulated garage door is that it operates more quietly, making it less likely to disturb people in your home. This is especially important if you frequently use your garage door as an exit or entryway.
- Increased strength: Insulation strengthens your garage door, making it more resistant to damage and dents from impacts like a stray baseball, a hailstorm or other things that can cause harm.
Insulated Garage Door Installation Services
If you’re ready to purchase and install an insulated garage door for your home or business, feel free to reach out to our team of experts at (612) 886-9606 today. We are available 7 days a week to handle all your garage door installation and repair needs.